Monday, November 22, 2010

Washington DC -Day 2

Gettysburg


Even though it is only the 2nd day of vacation, it was by far my favorite day! We got up and drove for a while. All the way up to Gettysburg. It was really pretty along the way but I fell asleep yet again. Once I woke up the sights were astonishing! The tree leaves were changing colors. Some were green, some were red and yellow, some were orange and brown.









Then we arrived to Gettysburg around 3 O'clock. We went to the museum on the battle field. In the museum we watched a film and saw the cyclorama. The cyclorama was my favorite because I didn't want to go at first; because I had recently learned about it in History class. (Cyclorama- 360 panoramic; painted in 1884, 20 years after the battle took place;painted in less then a year)

My Experience:
Learning about History in a book makes it seem unreal. But, once you go on a trip, and experience it it becomes a story. Learning about everything today made me realize how much I don't listen to my teacher or what the books tell us. Standing and looking at the cyclorama made me understand all the casualties of war. The bombs were fired left and right, gun powder so thick you couldn't see in front of you face, men falling down by the thousands, general shouting orders, horses strucken dead bu bullets. Once the 3 gruesome days were over the wounded crowded into homes; turned into hospitals. Over time many died from infections, many survived though too. The war continued, but we were once again a Union.



We made our way to Washington D.C. later today. As the clock stricks midnight it is time for me to get to bed. *Turns off lights*

Steps walked today: 3873

GOODNIGHT MY BRAVE SOLDIERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment